TRUTH AND LIES ( SERIES 1 - EPISODE 5)

WE'VE LOST HER

" Comfort why ?" I asked this time tears leaking from my eyes just like Grandpa's thatched roof. I could not believe Comfort could be the least immoral. If I was told she could kiss a guy, I would pluck my eyes out. But here I am with eyes wide open watching this weak child.




The doctor advised we keep close watch on her but I wonder how I would keep up. Faith has been so busy returning home at night and leaving so early.


 Travelling home would have been the best option for us since the school was on strike. But you understand why I can't go home. Comfort also refused to go home. In fact, she spends her holidays in school ever since she lost her parents. The poor girl was never comfortable with her relatives.



 Esther had travelled home the same day I met Comforts'  unconscious body in our room. She only returned yesterday when I told her our dear "churchie " had attempted suicide after committing an abortion.



Yes friends. How stupid I must have been not to notice she was pregnant despite being the eldest of all.


I feel so bad we haven't really been there for her. She had been sick even before the date and could not come with us. Just that, we still can't place when and how she got pregnant since she never had a boy friend. Or could books and lipton impregnate one?


The annoying thing is she has kept quiet for five days now. Thank God I came home right on time and that nonsense Joshua snubbed me. And what! She must have been to quacks for them not to complete the abortion process.



" Commy!" Esther cried. Esther was too emotional. While I was concerned about the idiot who impregnated her, Esther bothered on why she wanted to commit suicide. But Comfort was not listening to us or may be she was but she was not saying anything. How I wish she could say something. Life was worth living.



 I remember I almost went through that path 3 years ago. Life was miserable, Osas my boy friend deceived me, he said I should lend him my tuition that he needed to work out some paper work to leave the country for a job. Then I was pregnant for him. I wanted to keep the baby even while schooling, I knew after the first tuition my Parents would find out and tell me to take care of my schooling.


 Osas promised to send the money and take care of the baby funds . He would keep sending me money while he is over seas.Like a chicken trailed with corn, I entered into his trap. Oh how I wish he let me remain in his cage but he freed me to the world filled with hungry lions.


Osas left, did not refund my money. I lost all contacts. Worse, his Mum said she never knew me and that I was a witch wanting to pull her son from success.


 This same woman I helped to wash clothes whenever Osas took me to the village. She had even promised to talk with my mother properly, convince her to get me married to her son once he returns from over seas ,afterall I was a month pregnant for Osas. Then he would be richer than Ebuka. Ha! She denied me.


Things were rough at home, no one helped. For the first few months I thought it would be fine. Then I lost the baby in the fourth month.


 My mother was mad she said Osas should keep taking care of my schooling.  She refused I came home even when she knew I lost a child.


Still I did not give up hope.'One day , Osas would call and apologise then I could start my HND'.But it was a lie. A year, two years passed I kept deceiving my parent I was in school. Then I decided I would leave the environment and start afresh. Here I am.



I totally feel for Comfort but she has to open up. We can not call her uncle. Her relatives despise her after her Parents death. They would be of no help.



 Still, we find it difficult to foot the bills. We may have to call them anyways it's too much for us. It's just Esther and Kayode helping. I don't want to even talk about Joshua. He has been avoiding me since he came to our hotel for that advert contract. 'His problem'



" Hi girls" Oh my it is Faith. Another problem. She was staggering like a young lady who just jogged down a drum of palm wine. '"What is wrong with you?" Esther questioned.



"None of your business" She replied. Leaving Comfort who laid on the sofa, I grabbed Faith attempting to stable her. She was drunk and had bruises on her face .'What! ' she must have been beaten.

Read Series 1, Episode 6