ENCOUNTER WITH A MAD WOMAN (A short story)


ENCOUNTER WITH A MAD WOMAN

MY BAG!



 I just could not believe it. How could I have forgotten my purse at home. I would have noticed if I hadn't gotten a free ride to work.
Hey I forgot to tell you. I worked as a class teacher in a private school along Onikoko road. It didn't pay much judging from the fact I spend a lot on transport fare. You know how poorly primary school teachers are paid in private schools. You stress yourself with those children but get stipends at the end of the month. At times we even beg to get paid. Our reward should be far greater o.



Well, that's how I manage myself o. At least I don't stay at home all days with my Grandmother. As much as she needed my attention, I had to earn a little. Save some money for Jamb and Post UTME expenses maybe one of my aunts would see my efforts and sponsor me through higher institution.


I would still take care of Grandma, I would not school far away. I'm so attached to her. Please don't ask about my Parents. Grandma doesn't say anything I've known only her all my life.


Today I woke up really late. That should be because I slept late. This Plorific Journal blog post keeps me busy all night. That ladys' stories always intrigues me.


 If not for Grandma I would have missed work altogether. I never knew her hands were still that strong. For a woman of 73, that slap was really hot. In fact I still feel the effect at the back just below my neck.


It was 7:30 am when I finished dressing. Just swept the house, dressed up and left boiling rice on the stove. Grandma should take it off and eat when it's cooked.


Hurriedly, I bid her goodbye. I prayed they shouldn't reduce my salary this month for coming late. Not like it was a habit, but this month I've been late twice. Luckily, I saw one of Grandmas' friend Madam Comfort. She gave me a lift to my school.


It was a relief I met them at the assembly conducting their morning devotion. I just sneaked to the reception,  the Secretary left the teachers book on her desk. She had not ruled any line "Thank God". Last person signed 7:30 so I signed 7:31, still four minutes before deadline. I was grateful I had left the office before she returned. If she likes o she should come and question me. Sometimes I don't sign the minute I get into school. So I'm not lying ,you get. (Smiles).


Those children were really good today. Maybe they knew I was hungry or unhappy. I didn't even bother to check my bag for my purse because I knew last night , I had put N160 (One hundred and sixty naira) which is my exact transport fare. I did that every night.


3:30 pm and it was close time. I didn't even wait for my pupils to all leave, I grabbed my bag, signed out and made way for the gate.


 "Miss Tope" I heard Mark call. "Not again!", this guy wouldn't leave me alone. He keeps asking me out and I've always refused yet he wouldn't listen.'


See me see trouble o' we are both teachers although he is far older. One graduate of University of Lagos that found himself teaching. But 'omo' I am just sixteen . My stature just keep deceiving guys. No wonder Grandma always asks me not to wear skimpy clothes.


"Please wait dear" He continued. I stopped to listen what he had to say. " why are you in a haste? I want to drop you at your place today please". Hey ee, did I ask for a ride? Or didn't I know my way home?. "Thanks, I can't wait for you and I would go home the way I do everyday" I replied.


I left him there despite his pleas. 'Nonsense! Silly!' I said to myself as I headed home. The sun was scorching. Then it occurred to me . I needed to board a bike.'oops my purse! ' how could I not remember I left it at home.


This was really bad. I can't go back into the school. I had kept angry faces with all the staff so I can't ask anyone to lend me some money and not Mark.




So I decided to start trekking. I tried calling Grandma but she wouldn't pick. This woman should not start asking why I came late o.




"This sun o! " but I did not have a choice. I would be home in 30 minutes, take my bath, lavish the rice and chicken stew, drink any of those juice Aunty TITI bought for us. These thoughts kept me going and i didn't feel the pains of walking this mountain like road.




In fact, I didn't notice anything or anyone.  It was as if i was on an ear phone listening to loud music. This is what you call "fix your eyes on the price" .




 Suddenly, someone started dragging my bag. What nonsense is this one na. Behold a young lady whose hair were locked naturally or what can I say.  She lookes so young maybe in her early twenties  yet her skin was pale, face dusty and she was.... what! Well dressed 'Oh no' a this beauty can't be a mad woman but her actions proves she was.




"Stupid give me my meeting bag!" She kept screaming at me. I felt weak and scared but my legs wouldn't move. My hands still would not leave the bag. My new Samsung phone was in it. I remember how I pleaded before Aunty TITI bought another phone for me. The last one was stolen and she warned me not to misplace this. Ah I wasn't leaving this with this lady  no matter what.





"Ah!" I screamed as her sharp teeth cut through my skin. She had bitten my hands . At this point, I left the bag with her and started running but she chased me till I got to the gate of this Navy boys school. The security men at the gate came to my rescue and held the woman. They retrieved my bag and sent the woman away. I wish they could take her to a psychiatric, she was just too young for this. Not like it's better for an older woman but I wonder if she would be able to live her dreams if she had any.





Just then, Mark pulled over and alighted from his old crooked car. The security men explained the scene . He thanked them and asked me to join him in the car. Dear, i was frightened I just had to. I would just have him drop me two streets before mine so I don't have to explain to grandma why I look frightened, came late and with a man she did not know. Believe me I wasn't in for that.



'What a day!'