TRUTH AND LIES ( SERIES 1- EPISODE 6)


ALLEGATIONS 
As usual, Faith didn't say a thing. She said she was involved in an accident. Yes, probably a human caterpillar capable of inflicting wounds on the eyes of a lady. I was definitely getting to the root of this. I wouldn't want a repeat of what happened to Comfort.



After some days, Esther returned home. It was just Comfort and I, you know Faith was always going out. I was happy Comfort was getting better. At least she's started eating and smiling to my little jokes. It was such a relief one of her aunts sent us money. But dear, we had to get a fake Doctors report that she had typhoid fever. Getting a doctor was no easy. I remembered Joshua and for Comfort's sake, I was ready to talk to him but Comfort rejected. You need to see how furious she became when I mentioned his name. I do not want to push further but it seems they have crossed paths. I mean, how can she get so angry over him. I didn't even tell her, he (Joshua ) snubbed me o.


"Ding!!" I heard my phone ring. It was my Boss. "Yes sir". Hmm, he needed me at the hotel immediately. I wonder what that could be. Today was supposed to be my off. The one I get once in two weeks and he decided to spoil my quiet moments with my pen. " Commy, I would be back" I said to Comfort as I rushed out. I heard her whisper something like be careful. But she needed that most.


Several thoughts ran through me as I headed to the hotel. I didn't have much with me as we haven't been paid for the month so I had to trek some distance before boarding a tricycle to work.


Omo my heart was beating faster than a sprinter who just completed a race. Entering into the reception, I felt this breeze of uneasiness. It was the same I felt when I entered into our house. The day I found Alhaji on top of Mum playing fowl games. She had told me Alhaji was a Doctor and was examining some things. She must have thought she tricked my feeble heart.  Such a pity she underestimated a girl of sixteen. My Dad was always away on one business trip or the other and I watched our " doctor " Come into our house cleaning her up almost all weekend. She must have hated bathing herself. Mike was always away playing with the boys and I kept quiet for years. What could a dummy say? I was just shocked when my mother became pregnant for Osas. I was Nineteen then. The news was shocking to my brother and I even My Dad was suprised but he had no choice. I'm very sure at old age,  he enjoyed some warmth from Mama. Of course that which they signed for on the day they repeated ;" I do".


This same breeze I felt when I walked into Grandma's Hut and perceived the unusual quietness. The room was free from its usual fragrance of fresh kola nuts and "ogogoro" Mama used to wash her rusty teeth. That day I wouldn't forget. I had lost my only confidant. Although I found it hard to understand her English ( for we couldn't speak our dialect),I had enjoyed her stories ,her advice and her assurance of love.


Sadly, love had never gotten me any good. First it was Grandma, then Osas. I fear I've also began loving my job which I shouldn't.


 So this afternoon when I felt this usual breeze, I knew something was wrong. Tope was not smiling. I hope she hasn't been quarried. I managed to smile even when she couldn't return it.


" MD wants you in his office, Jane". She said so formally as she rang to inform him of my arrival. I waited for her signal and walked in expecting the worse.


" Here, advance payment for four months" he said handing over the envelope.
"Why sir?" I asked realising what it meant.
 "Your services are no longer needed" he replied.
"Why sir?" I repeated.
" We have heard news about how disrespectful you have been towards our guests, how you gossip during work hours and your immoral acts"  he explained.
"Is this all about Mr Joshua, from the advertising agency?" I asked remembering the last time I saw both of them.


Probably,  Joshua was angry I didn't respond properly to him although I find it hard to believe that could be the case. What else could I think of. Wait "Immoral acts? !"


" Young lady, I don't know why you would pick on one of our business partners. Do you know how important the Gbadamosi's are?" He asked referring to Joshua's family. I doubt if Joshua had said his family's name was that. I don't remember him saying any. " He has nothing to do with this. Take a look at this video sent to the board of directors of this hotel from an unknown source" he replied handing his phone to me.


What I saw was shocking. It was the video of me on bed in an hotel with a Male figure. I knew it was photoshoped but a part of it was true.  It was the night of the attempted rape. It captured the moment I tried playing a little trick with the rapist but excluded the part I stabbed him. By the time I was done watching the clip, I was already in tears. This was defamation and nothing I say could bring me out of this mess. In fact, I'd rather not come close to this hotel. I pray it doesn't go viral. I'd be doomed. Why was my life this way?


"Can I make a request?" I pleaded in tears. "Yes".
" I need this video clip and please do not tell anyone why I was fired" I pleaded with him.
" We could do that. I'd talk to the receptionist and the board" he said and transferred the clip to my phone. Now I understand why Tope reacted in such manner.


 With tears streaming down my cheeks, I ran home. Friends, I never left the envelope o. In fact, I held it tightly. If i needed to fight my case, I needed the money. I needed it to start a business. I would go over this clip over again o, now is not the time to cry. My investigating skills must be sharpened. See life, not even the police could retrieve any evidence from the rape case.
Ha! What have I gotten into?


"Hello, Uki". Oh no not today.
"Get out of my life"  I screamed at the unknown  caller. Comfort came to me, she knew what I needed, a shoulder to cry on.

Read episode 7