TRUTH AND LIES (SERIES 1- EPISODE 4)

Episode 4
OH NO!

"No school today?" It was lady T the receptionist you remember her? I'm glad you did. She is my only friend at this work place. "No dear, lecturers are on their work to rule again" I replied.





Tope seems happy with the news, she's all smiling. I hope this lady isn't thinking I would spend my school time in this hotel o. Anyway, she would be off duty by six. I'm glad she isn't on night duty.



 " Lady T what's up na why the smile?" I asked. She didn't reply but her eyes were fixed on the door.  "Hey your boyfriend is here" She said gesturing towards the entrance. Oh no! It was Josh again. I had thought our relationship would end after the 'blind date' but then the accident and he running around with the police case created more time for us to see. But there has been no good news from that end. After a week I'm already tired of pursuing it. Whoever that was, he was smart and did not do that alone. I strongly believe he was assisted by staff of that hotel. No cctv record, no record of any strange person booking the hotel that night. Everything is just so strange.



"He is not my boyfriend"  I whispered to Tope as I made way to Josh. "Good afternoon my lady" he said hugging me. I felt like pushing him off me but that would be too much of an embarrassment so I gently pulled away from his embrace.



"What are you doing here?" I asked. Of course I knew he was here to see me. He has been here almost everyday for the past week and I've always declined his offer for dinner or anything. I told Faith and Esther I wouldn't take that date to another level. I can't go back on my words plus I'm totally off men. Hey! I didn't say I was into women either.



"I'm here to see the director, we have unfinished business" he said and made way to Topes' desk " I have an appointment, M and D advertising agency" he said bringing out his ID. How shocking! He wasn't here for me. Who is this guy? Obviously he is rich but how can he own an advertising agency along with a clinic?



'Jane you dey dull yourself o, you suppose make contact now as Masscommunication concern" . It has always been my dream to work for an advertising agency. I fell in love with the course during my first year in school even though I wish my dull head could make me study law. Before I could get myself from my thoughts, he had been ushered into the office.



It was past 3pm so I should be on my way home but I decided to enjoy some gist from lady T. I don't know what is with me these days but I just seem to enjoy talking I hope I'm not returning to the old me. Tope was suprised when I asked her to tell me about Joshua.



This lady thought we were dating because he always came to the hotel to ask after me , calls me on phone which is always on her desk when I'm cleaning and this guy comes exactly 3 to drop me off at school even if  I haven't agreed to date him. Such a gentleman.



Tope that likes gist, our parrot.She was sure to tell me all she knew or have heard from gossips after making sure the director was engaged and wouldn't come out to see her talking on duty. From all she said, Joshua was from a rich home. His family owns a lot of business in almost all sectors of the economy in Nigeria. I would say they are the young "Dangotes".



 I asked her a lot of questions especially when she mentioned his owning a hotel. If he did, he should have taken me there that night. But she didn’t know the hotel's name or location. She also said he had two step brothers. His mother is late and he was the eldest son of his rich father.


What a pity! I would like to be his friend so I can ask him a lot of questions especially his past relationship. No one can hold a curious cat.



I waited for an hour but their discussion seems long so I decided to go home. Faith has been unwell for days now the load would be too much for Comfort to handle. Just as I was about leaving, I heard him exchanging farewell with the director who by now was at the reception area. Maybe I could get a free ride home I thought. But Joshua greeted me casually and left. " Did he just snub me? Wow he did "


I allowed him exit the building before heading home. What an embarrassment.  Well, my trekking awaits me.



On my way home, I decided to call Mike my brother.  He sounded sad. I knew it was because he had not gotten a better job after service and the pressure at home was much. It is such a pity. I can imagine how tough it would be. As much as i would love to return home, I'm really not ready for Mums talk about my marriage. She's been on this since I was 21.



Till date, she blames me for not accepting a wealthy guy she introduced me to earlier. I was bent on following my poor Osas . But see what it has gotten me into? I should have listened to her but I trusted love against wealth. I never told Osas all the trouble I faced for choosing him. I had thought we would fight our way through school and ended up putting Mama to shame. Guess who was shamed ? Stupid me of course.



Ebuka would have sponsored me through school and now I may have had kids running around and in Canada. I heard Trust his wife who happens to be my class mate in school is unable to bear him kids. Still she is overseas with him. Ebuka wouldn't have been a bad choice. But I was too blinded with the sugar coated tongue of Osas. Anywhere he is , I pray he is blessed. I still can't curse him for running away, I want to believe he had no choice. But I hated him for his lies and how miserable I have become.



Everytime I look into Mama's face, I see a woman who is dissatisfied with life. Her children haven't brought her much joy not even Omo the youngest.



Still, I can't fulfill her desires. She still has a lot of female friends introducing their son to me but I keep telling her, I'd bring my spouse after NYSC even when I know it would not happen.



Mama never stopped reminding me she was 21 when she got married and at 22, I was already sucking her young breasts. What can I do? I'm not getting younger. At age twenty six  I am still struggling to complete school. At times I wish my death would compensate them because I know I have been too useless only they don't know how worse I am.



The  only compensation is sending them money I toil hard to make. I seriously need a saviour before I die from thoughts. I wish I could help Mike. I've asked him to send his CV, I'd try get it to places that's the best I can do.



I was suprised our apartment door was left open when I got home. "What!" Comfort was lying unconsciously on the floor with blood oozing beneath her dress. She was bleeding from where? " It can't be? What must have happened? " I scanned the apartment,  close to her was her favourite cup with lipton tea and sanitary pad on the floor. But this blood is different na. I shouted but no one was in. "What do I do now?".



Read Series 1, Episode 5