THE DATE.
“I’m definitely not wearing those !” I said pointing at the heels Faith held. Common ! I felt over dressed already. This was too much for me. But Faith and Esther wouldn’t back off. How I wish they could be as quiet as Comfort. One wouldn’t notice if she was even in a room.
You see, four of us share an apartment. It was a room and parlour self contained, convenient for students like us. It was always a lively place to be. Esther acted like the mother always ensuring there is enough food and everyone was happy.
Faith, is the “social type” . She practically took care of our ward robes and arranged for outings like this.
Comfort is the “get inside babe”. She hardly had time to discuss anything aside from science. Being a pharmaceutical technology student, she knew the importance of health and always cared when we felt Ill. She was most helpful to me as I was always weak due to stress. Comfort and Faith were course mates and Faith had told us Comfort was quite a talkative till she lost both parents during the tanker explosion in Lagos. I felt bad for her.
You should know my role here. Well, basically I had no specific role. Being the oldest, I was always respected and I simply advised them. How I wish I had more of that during my early years, then I wouldn’t be here.
Unlike other room mates, we barely quarrelled. Esther was usually quick to offences but you know what is said about fire and water na. We didn’t give room for unsettled misunderstanding.
“Common Jane, your dress wouldn’t make sense if you go on flats” Faith pressured and that was all it took me to listen to this 21 year old brat. I wore the shoes, it was hers but it fitted me perfectly. It was a gold heel of about four inches (I could be wrong, maths isn’t my thing). Still, I struggled to maintain my balance. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy especially with my hurt feet but if I was going to look stunning, it must be a complete make up.
I steadied myself and headed for the wall mirror. Woaow! I just couldn’t belief. The lady standing at the front of the mirror was definitely not me. “Oh yeah, this is definitely you!” Esther said as if going through my thoughts. I was so beautiful on this wine dinner gown. It had a slit at the front revealing my tender thighs. I’m still wondering how comfortable I would feel in this dress especially when I have to sit. But it was a dress sewn by Comfort and I don’t want her feeling bad. So I should wear it. “what do you think?” thanks, I’d go with it.
My purse was made of shining wine and touches of gold. It was a gift from Mike my brother. He got me the purse last year when I graduated from school. I hadn’t felt like using it since then for some reasons but Faith had pressured me to take it.
My weavon was properly styled. You know I learnt hair styling after my secondary school. I’m glad the troubles of life hasn’t made me loose my touch. All together , I looked collected.
We were invited for a dinner party somewhere in town. Of course I didn’t want to go but Kayode, Esthers boyfriend had said we all must attend. Comfort wouldn’t be able to attend because she had a test the next morning and she had flu. Too bad for her it would have been a nice thing to go out.
I was a bit nervous. Not because I hadn’t attended a dinner party but we were required to come with our dates. Sure, Esther and Faith had boyfriends but not me. I couldn’t stand to be in any relationship after all that happened. But Faith had insisted on hooking me up. I told her it was only for the purpose of this party and nothing else. She agreed but it was a blind date and he was meant to come pick me by 6. Weird right?
5:30 pm, we heard a knock on the door. Must be one of the guys you know. Oh and our busy body Faith was quick to open the door. “Hey Kay” she greeted. Wow it was Kayode and he was just so cute. You need to see the way Esther ran to him and boom it’s like they almost forgot we were in there.
“I’m sorry ladies. This beautiful Angel made me loose my manners. Good evening! “ he greeted. He came in to wait for our dates.
Few seconds later, Faiths boyfriend came in. Innocent was a dark, tall and well built young man with nicely shaved beards. Most girls would consider him attractive especially because he was wealthy. He wore a tight fitted grey suit ,a dark shade glasses and a black shoe to match. Omo! ( you understand na) He was set.
As attractive as he was. I just didn’t get along well with him. Maybe it was his manner or intimidating stature or status. I couldn’t say exactly what it was. His eyes always looked hungry. No doubt he must have feasted on Faith a lot. But that was their business . Faith was madly in love with him.
Immediately she saw him, she ran to embrace him. “ You would ruin my suit with those make up” he cautioned. Faith smiled to cover up but I could tell she was hurt.
“Where exactly is this blind date?” It was few seconds to six pm. Although, I now wanted to be part of the show, if he comes even a minute later than six, I wouldn’t follow him. Just before I could frown, we heard another car pack outside. That must be him. Oh my ! I couldn’t help but stare through the window as a fair, tall handsome dude alighted from a 2018 Toyota corolla car. It was one of the latest. He was so cute and simply dressed. Well, I have to get back on my feet if i must do a proper assessment on him when he comes.
“Good evening everyone! “ he said as Comfort showed him in. His face was all smiling. If love could be bought even for a second time, I’ll take him at all cost. But my heart was too hurt for that. I just admired his simplicity not like he was that simple o. My friends, he was on an Italian shoe. “You must be Jane, I’ve heard a lot about you. I’m sorry for making you frown” and that was all he needed to get me laughing. Could anyone be this contagious?
We arrived at the party on time. Kayode was one of the hosts and he was good at it. Joshua and I got along although I was usually off during conversations. ( I told you I wasn’t that intelligent ) But Joshua was a gentleman, you can imagine I mistakenly poured wine on his white shirt while laughing to a joke from Dolly P the comedian. He apologized for my mistake, went to the car, and changed into another white shirt.
I’m sure he has a thing for white and was used to getting stained. The event was lit, a wonderful time and when it was almost time to go home, I discovered my feet were swollen. I wanted to get to the rest room but my feet were hurting I shouldn’t have worn a shoe on this injury. Josh noticed my inconvenience so, I quickly explained it was an accident before he begins to think I couldn’t keep up with heels.
He insisted we left the hall already. But I was too pressed, I told him I’d join him in the car after using the ladies. On my way, I bumped into Innocent. He looked angry.
“Hey I have an urgent meeting” he explained. I nodded and left still trying to hold my pains. I thought of pulling my shoes but I didn’t know the exit through the back and the media was everywhere. I couldn’t make news. So I decided to linger for some time thank God we wouldn’t wait for the end of the programme. It’s already time for awards presentation.
Something struck me. I saw Faith staggering towards a pole close to the toilet. She looked over used and weak. “Faith what happened to you?” I questioned. Still shocked, I raised her face, there was a tear close to her eye brows. My mind flushed to the blood stained key that fell from Innocents pocket when we bumped into each other earlier. No it couldn’t be.
“What happened I questioned once more” “ Was it, Innocent?” I didn’t know when and how I mentioned his name.
“Hell, No. Jane it’s not him!” she barked angrily. I was shocked, ‘ what a defence!’ I knew I had crossed the lines but It was out of concern.
“Listen, I’m fine, it had nothing to do with him. He’s left for a meeting. I felt dizzy and headed for the rest room only to stumble into this pole and it hurt me here” she explained pointing to her torn face. “I’d just go home and rest. I’d text Esther. Please don’t spoil her day with your imaginations” she continued.
I was hurt. For a while, I had forgotten my swollen feet. Faith needed help, she looks scared and probably hiding something. Deep down, I knew it was related to Innocent. But who am I to question her. Was I any better? If they all knew, they’d probably hate me.
Heading home wasn’t the best option, so I followed Joshua to the clinic which happened to be his. The nurse was friendly she told me I needed to rest the leg. I smiled knowing I’d be troubling that feet by 6 am the next day.
It was late when we were done and I was worried about Esther. Faith must have gotten home but Esther would be wondering how we disappeared but I still needed to get home. I had work the next day.
Oh and there she goes. I received Esther’s call she asked if I was fine. Joshua had informed her I would stay over night. “ What nonsense!” I couldn’t sleep with a ‘ stranger’ no matter how friendly he seems.
I was going to ask him why he made such a decision. Probably shout on him. Yes, I didn’t care. Men were no good, I needed none. But I was shocked, he asked his driver to come for me. He had booked a hotel room for me.
“Who was this man?” I didn’t even have his contact. How narrow are my thoughts. I would just get some rest at this hotel and leave early the next day.
“Hello, Uki it’s me” the caller said. Not again. This unknown number, this familiar voice.
