I THINK I’VE MET SOMEONE (A STORY - SERIES 1)

HE IS SPECIAL

“Jennifer have you seen the new boss? He is so cute and I heard he’s got an eye for ebonies. Who knows your lucky guy may be here”.





It was Grace again the only colleague I talked with. Her parents had probably given her the name because they were good Christians. Well, I didn’t say she wasn’t. You need to see how well she covers her hair to church on Sundays and her dress, as long as the garment of the nuns. Only she didn’t have to go to pilgrimage to showcase her appendages.


Pardon me but that was Grace for you and I love her just the way I love my shape. Did I say my shape? Yes o, I’m so obsessed with it and so my skin colour. Little wonder I “love food”.


But you see, as much as I loved Grace, I get tired of her trying to hook me up with guys. To her, I was some lonely bitch who needed some sauce.


Help me ask her o, she wasn’t engaged either just because I was some two year older than her. I know you want to know my age, I’m just 25. This was my first proper job after NYSC a year ago.
Let’s leave that part for now, you would get to know me soon.


“Jenny! He’s asked for that project file and I’m not helping!"
It was Grace again I had ignored her at first. But girl, she was so persistent.


Well, it was my job, so I grabbed the file and headed straight upstairs  for his office with a stern face. I hope it scares him off because I wasn’t ready for any affair. Don’t ask about my plan of getting married before 26. I still got sometime before tying the knot and my mother; I bet you she is always ready.


Gosh! I was on this purple gown that revealed the mighty hand of God’s creation. I was formed, made and born (Omo! You understand na). I wish I never wore this gown today but I was too tired to look for a less revealing cloth to wear. You know ladies and wardrobe issues


Even a Eunuch would jump at the offer of these curves like an angry lion. (I set and you know what I mean!)
Yes, I was crushing on myself. I deserved it. Do you know the number of compliments I received as I alighted from my car? (Trust our Nigerian dudes mehn!) But I wasn’t ready for that.


“Yes come in beautiful”. At last, I knocked.
I was stunned, he was so handsome! Any lady could wet her pants at such sight and his beard eeh! reminded me how well Mr. Chinedu took care of our flowers at home They were properly carved. And his moustache, ooh my!.


A cold shiver ran through my spine as he gestured towards me, “I am Tobi and could you please smile?” He said.


No this could not be happening, why should life treat me this way? I thought I was done with this. My legs were shaking, I couldn’t move. Eyes watering, as much as I wanted it, the waters wouldn’t leave its comfort zone. My lips couldn’t utter a word as I sensed its dryness.  I felt like the world was about to end or do I say, start? Whatever it was, clearly my “village people” had gotten hold of me.


“God just help me.” I heard myself say. “Is everything alright beautiful?” He said it again, this time moving closer.


I couldn’t allow this, no he couldn’t move closer, but he was. I didn’t know how it happened but it took me less than ten (10) seconds (I may be wrong about the timing, I never loved maths) to descend the stairs and my colleagues probably may have thought I had an encounter with the goddess of Ogun  and boom! I headed straight to God knows where. I although wondered how I held the steering.


What was going on with my life? Why wouldn’t shadow leave when the sun had appeared?


He said his name was Tobi. Well that could be a coincidence but the fragrance? I’d never seen anyone who wore it then and after except “him”.


Don’t call me a psycho, he was listening to Toni Braxton’s song, Spanish guitar and called me beautiful in the same manner.
Dear, if I wasn’t a Christian, I would have thought otherwise.


********************************************************************
Today was going to be one of the best days of my life. It’s been four hard years of schooling. Well it was, or do I say three hard years? You’d conclude that. It was my final paper. At last I was going to be a graduate of Mass communication.


He was there; yes my love rode me to school. I had relocated to Technical campus on his arrival last year. He had said he hated the atmosphere at Ekeanwa campus. What could I say? “Who no like better thing?”


Tobi had always ridden me to school and when he couldn’t, he always made sure I Had enough for transport. Yes I was a never stranded throughout my final year.


Today as I entered into his car, everything smelt different. No he did not change his perfume. He never did. In fact I could tell he was around with that smell that awakened everything in me and weakened my defences.


But I could not say; everything felt different. Some would say, once there is a different atmosphere it’s either dangerous or marvelous.


I debunked the former; it was going to be a good day. He was very happy I could see it in his eyes. He kept spying on me throughout the ride. It felt like we just met and he was the shy kid who just got permission to date.


At last, we got to school. Everyone was fabulously dressed but I guess I was the only one whose boyfriend gave a ride to school.


Not like it was new, but today, he didn’t drop me at the gate but rode straight to my faculty. Oh Yes! I was blushing. I didn’t take the tricycle from the gate.


My makeup was still intact; of course ,it was a comfortable ride with the AC on. I felt like a Queen who has got everything in life. Tell me, what more could I ask for? Life was smiling.


Who would believe I had cried throughout the night instead of reading. I was so grateful that I ended up weeping to God.


My Father had told me tears go a long way when words fail. But one would hardly believe I cried. Yes I tell you, even that day”, I was smiling (yes I got my smiles from him). But last night, only tears could express my gratitude to God.


You see, I was gorgeously dressed. Tobi had ensured I got everything I needed to make me look good for today. He had also made sure he gave me enough space to concentrate before the exams (Gosh, this  guy dey satisfy me). Only if he knew my greatest distraction was not being with him.


“Beautiful, all  the  best. I’ll be right here” he said as I made way to the examination hall. I felt like kissing his small lips but I got so many eyes on me. So I just smiled and I felt his heartbeat. Is it your business? He’s my  boo so I knew when his heart beat.


That was how I wrote MAC 422 with all joy. It was the best exam I had written in years. There was no doubt I was making it out with first class. Oh, I forgot to tell you, I was not some silly classy babe. I was the best student in my level.


Continue reading