THE
GAMES THEY PLAYED ON MY HEAD
Sunday
evenings are the best. After a long week and a ‘tiring’ Saturday, Sundays are
the best time for rest. As usual, I rushed back home on Sunday by 2pm to rest
my head and prepare for the week’s activities. Jumping on the bed, I got the
familiar sharp pain on the left part of my head but I ignored. That must have
been from my ‘night vigil’. Staring at a laptop screen till dawn sure can
result in headache. “This will past” I thought as I forced myself to bed.
Little did I know…. The day went by quickly and it started to rain heavily. I
watched everyone rushed to cover and locked their windows. My little one had
said it was going to rain like Noah’s day. He was right considering the effects
it had on lives and properties.
Strangely,
I didn't feel the cold. (skin no thick o). Rather, my body was on fire. I
rushed to the bathroom, turned on the shower and filled the bath tub with cold
water. I wished there was ice, my body needed it. “This can’t be a fever. I
never have a fever” I said to myself as I sat in the bathtub, cold water
running down my body. In no long time, the tub was hot. Scientists must have
failed to include the human body as a major source of energy. Forgive me I am
not a science student but I know the hotness from my body could make ‘eba’ (garri).
“Jane! ” I heard someone call. The voice
sounded like my Mums but there was no way Mama would fly to Abuja in minutes.
Yes that was my Aunts. As a strong lady (no be wash) I wrapped myself with the
towel. Shoulders high, sweet smile (learnt that from my bro) I walked out of
the bathroom.
“Jane
are you alright?” she asked. “Just headache” I responded. “Please take pain
relief and sleep” Aunty suggested. So I had the pain relief, turned on the AC,
damped towel round my head, I pretended to sleep.
Waters rushed out of the eyes uncontrollably.
I was glad the nights were here. I could cry comfortably. So I turned off the
light and allowed the night have its toil. My head became a game box. I
couldn’t pick out the different games played on the left part of the head.
Definitely there was a string game, pulling and dragging. The players were
enthusiastic. I sincerely understand now how Jerry feels about his games. The
players took me to the pitch and even to the farm making ridges. They must be
kids for only them should have such energy to play for hours. The night was
long and it was a Miracle to see the daylight but the stubborn Jane doesn’t
like the Doctors.
@Comfort
Agbebaku 2021
Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave your comment below. I read and respond to all comments. Thank you.