FIND SMART A MATE
What happens when a dog goes blind and it's nose numb?
The holidays have been going pretty well. Well, almost all days are "stay at home" for me. But when I say pretty well, I mean I've never had a pained foot or a cracked voice this year.
Last night, I broke the record. Strolling with my younger brother, having a bag of our favorite shawama, we probably thought we were reaching for the clouds at night. I had even promised to engage him in one of my many fictional stories (trust me, I tell as much as I paint). The kid was happy until suddenly we got uneasy. We got to the house gate and discovered it was locked, surely Mercy knew we were right behind her but she locked us out and the street was unusually calm. It was barely 9 but a lot of people had traveled for the festivities.
"Aunty call Mercy an" Victor cried. In one swift mode, I grabbed my phone and called her out to open the gate. At this point, Smart was barking pretty high and I couldn't tell if it was for awareness or he saw us as strangers. It didn't take long to understand his intentions. As Mercy reached for the gate, he broke his chain loose and with all "viciousness", he advanced towards us barking and not wagging his tail. Oh my, Smart didn't recognise us, he couldn't smell me who have been feeding it for days. I didn't know much about dogs but I knew it was wrong to run hence I was determined to stand but as Mercy screamed and rushed at us, flinging the gate open my brain registered, " Run" and we did, trying to get away from our now savage dog.
Three steps back, I noticed it was after my sister and it would be a shame not to stand up as an elder. So with all the boldness in me, I picked up my slippers and the remaining bravery in me, advanced towards him by the neighbours flower where Mercy was pinned to the wall and distracted him. "Smart get inside" I screamed showing him my slippers and a leaf I felt was a stick. "Get inside Smart" I repeated hoping it'd register my voice but he almost didn't. "Get inside kisito" I said calling it's nickname then I watched him bark back to the gate, but making an attempt to scare me. Only he didn't know I wouldn't back off even though I was shaking. He ran to his cage, but as I was about stepping into the compound, it advanced towards me in anger but couldn't get to me as it's childhood friend, Vic came out from the house and ordered it in. I was grateful she came out but felt she stole my shine. I knew I'd have locked it in.
After all the drama, Victor appeared, he had ran to the end of the street safeguarding his shawama. "So much for a dog trainer" I breathed. Mercy struggled with her breathe all night while I massaged my feet, noting this was the second time i'd be chased by a dog and same dog.
Then I drew my thesis, Smart needs a mate.
#share your story

Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave your comment below. I read and respond to all comments. Thank you.