![]() |
| ALL GONE. |
Gbim Gbim came the sound from my mother’s chest, it reminded me of the effort she put while swaying the pestle. But only now it wasn’t a joyous occasion, we weren’t expecting a hearty meal but the survival of our heart depended on the ability of our legs .
They’ve been another explosion from the pipes, our lives were in danger. Where are we going? I didn’t know.
My father couldn’t farm, his land had been polluted. My step brother had joined the militants against my father’s wish. My father was an innocent citizen who wouldn’t engage in warfare. He believed in prayer and faith but I had wondered why God had not saved our village pastor who died while fetching petrol from the river. But he was my father, we had to follow him and run.
Suddenly, I felt another part of me had left but I just couldn't think what it was. We got to the river and realization hit me. Woe! I had lost my little brother in the race.
Behind us was a thick smoke, we couldn’t turn back. It was too dangerous. In an instance, my Mum looked at me eyes to eyes like she was scanning through me. Sighting my brothers hand beads on my palm, she knew we had lost Ejiro. Like a mad woman she let her wrapper loose running backwards in search of her only son. Thankfully, some men held her pushing and pulling her forwards. If she didn't weigh much, they may have lifted her.
As they approached me, I knew I shouldn't have been thankful. Two quick slaps on my ear and a bite on my cheek. My mother was pained. I wish she went in the fire. a complete tragedy it would have been for I was sure I'd join them soon in the grave. My father could reunite with his son if he returns safe from the battle or choose to join his family later on.
Gboom! Another explosion behind us. The race continued, all annoyance forgotten as my Mother clutched my shaky hands. "I won't loose you" she echoed as we made our way through the hot soil. Roasted souls, dismembered bodies, lost kids and crippled men yet not a single soul could mourn.
Those days were gone. Today, I couldn’t feel the sound of my chest nor my heart beat. The land has been plagued and I’ve been cursed. Yet not I, but the barons of incompetent leaders have savaged our dreams in broad day.
Those days were gone. Today, I couldn’t feel the sound of my chest nor my heart beat. The land has been plagued and I’ve been cursed. Yet not I, but the barons of incompetent leaders have savaged our dreams in broad day.
Our gold has been cursed.
"Lady, Lady" I heard her call, she was calling on me I guessed but I couldn't act as a lion. I felt the wetness of my pant as the rivers of thirst swirled closer. These men were very thirsty, I couldn't lend them any water, I've been dried completely.
I thought of my father, I prayed he was safe. He had taught me to believe in God and exercise faith. I did believe in him but what use was faith? Now I could feel my eyes water, I wanted to grab the little boy as I remembered Ejiro my brother. But it was too late, his head was torn.
Once more I thought of praying for myself, if God could teach these rulers how to be leaders, then I saw an Imam gesturing us toward his mosque. I was relieved, if I survived the night, I would head first for Lagos the next day. I hope it would be save there.
The South had brought me sorrow, I thought the hotness of the Nothern sun will appease my soul. If only I knew how consistent shadows were.
I cried but was grateful I survived the killings but my greatest fear, ”I was long dead within”.
I remembered as kids, we would run around, go for fishing and accompany our parents to the farm till it happened.
I had dreamt of a better life, a lawyer or a renowned writer but now I crave peace only. I needed to see my father, I heard Lagos roads were always busy, I hope he was safe among those "tankers".
As I got to the park, I met a crippled child with the Nigerian flag. He was hawking and tried persuading me to buy. "Why should I? I asked angrily. “He said ,because it’s green and white. Amazed I asked how. He said, ”This is Nigeria a pure nation with vision, filled with natural resources and have great healing power”. How naive could a kid be
Read the poem
"Lady, Lady" I heard her call, she was calling on me I guessed but I couldn't act as a lion. I felt the wetness of my pant as the rivers of thirst swirled closer. These men were very thirsty, I couldn't lend them any water, I've been dried completely.
I thought of my father, I prayed he was safe. He had taught me to believe in God and exercise faith. I did believe in him but what use was faith? Now I could feel my eyes water, I wanted to grab the little boy as I remembered Ejiro my brother. But it was too late, his head was torn.
Once more I thought of praying for myself, if God could teach these rulers how to be leaders, then I saw an Imam gesturing us toward his mosque. I was relieved, if I survived the night, I would head first for Lagos the next day. I hope it would be save there.
The South had brought me sorrow, I thought the hotness of the Nothern sun will appease my soul. If only I knew how consistent shadows were.
I cried but was grateful I survived the killings but my greatest fear, ”I was long dead within”.
I remembered as kids, we would run around, go for fishing and accompany our parents to the farm till it happened.
I had dreamt of a better life, a lawyer or a renowned writer but now I crave peace only. I needed to see my father, I heard Lagos roads were always busy, I hope he was safe among those "tankers".
As I got to the park, I met a crippled child with the Nigerian flag. He was hawking and tried persuading me to buy. "Why should I? I asked angrily. “He said ,because it’s green and white. Amazed I asked how. He said, ”This is Nigeria a pure nation with vision, filled with natural resources and have great healing power”. How naive could a kid be
Read the poem
